The Digital Profession is for Australian Public Service (APS) staff in digital and ICT roles. Our objective is to improve the digital expertise of individuals, organisations, and the APS workforce, to meet digital capability needs in government.
The Digital Profession will become the standard of excellence for APS digital professionals, with opportunities for learning and career development at any level. Digital and ICT roles include:
- those who design and deliver digital services, including agile roles
- digital transformation roles
- ICT and cyber security roles
- managers of digital teams.
Why be part of the Digital Profession?
Departments/agencies and teams
Our programs will help you:
- fill a known capability gap
- find new digital talent
- get support with workforce planning
- find learning opportunities for digital skills
- develop digital leaders.
We have guides and tools available for teams to support effective delivery of your product, including the Digital Service Standard and the Australian Government Style Manual.
We can help APS employees by:
- connecting you with other professionals
- connecting you with learning opportunities
- helping you engage with mentors and coaches
- providing guides and tools to help you design and deliver great services
- giving you the tools to explore your career pathways and learn digital skills.
We can also help you start your APS career in a digital field.
Get involved in the co-design of the Digital Profession
How the Digital Profession can help you
The Digital Profession can already help in many ways, you can find out more on the links below.
- For agencies and teams: Support, tools and guides to help you deliver
- For individuals: Opportunities for all APS staff to develop their digital skills
- View all help & advice: We provide help in many ways for government agencies and the people who work for them
- APS Digital Professional Stream Strategy: Increasing the digital expertise of the APS workforce and meeting long-term capability needs to transform government services.
Other content in this section
Helping the Australian Public Service respond to the demand for government workers with digital expertise.
Helping individuals make sure they are ready to respond to the demand for government workers with digital expertise.
We’re partnering with Microsoft to deliver a range of training for government employees.
We need you! We're calling on members of the APS to show their interest. This is an opportunity to get involved in a design-led approach to the development of the profession.
Increasing the digital expertise of the APS workforce and meeting long-term capability needs to transform government services.
As part of the Government’s reform agenda, an Australian Public Service professions model is being developed to address current and future digital capability needs
Recognising the need to make sure the APS recruits digital professionals with relevant credentials, skills, and qualities to lead digital and cultural transformation, and to professionalise and uplift the digital dexterity and capability of the APS workforce.