Using cloud technology can reduce costs, lift productivity and deliver better services. We want to make it easier for government to invest in cloud technologies.
Secure cloud strategy
In 2017 we worked closely across government and industry to develop the Secure Cloud Strategy.
The strategy replaces the Australian Government Cloud Computing Policy that was released in 2014. The new strategy focuses on helping government agencies use cloud more easily.
You can download the full strategy and read the overview below.
Cloud technology and services can increase the speed of delivering new platforms, allow for continuous improvement and provide easier access to services. It can reduce the effort required for maintenance, allowing agencies to refocus that effort into improving service delivery.
The Secure Cloud Strategy has been developed to guide agencies beyond current business restrictions and move towards a more agile method of service improvement. It provides the framework for sustainable change within government so that all agencies can make use of what cloud has to offer.
The strategy focuses on preparing agencies for the shift to cloud, and supporting them through the transition. The key initiatives of the strategy are:
- Agencies develop their own cloud strategies to suit their own needs.
- 7 principles to guide agencies in the development of their own strategies.
- Move towards an appropriate, layered certification model.
- Align cloud services procurement to the recommendations from the ICT procurement review.
- Clarify cloud system requirements with a common assessment framework.
- Develop contracts that clarify responsibilities and accountabilities of cloud providers in their unique operating environment.
- Develop a platform to share knowledge and expertise of cloud products and services.
- Build cloud skills and expertise within the Australian Public Service (APS) through existing and new programs.
- Explore and develop shared platforms that can be used by multiple services and reduce duplication.
These initiatives will be led by the DTA and our in-house expertise. This will include delivering guidance and support and developing a best-practice community to build the skills and confidence of the APS.
Download the full Secure Cloud Strategy (.pdf, 768KB)
For more information about the Secure Cloud Strategy you can email email@example.com
Responsibility for the Australian Government Cloud Computing Policy moved from the Department of Finance to the Digital Transformation Agency in December 2016.