Digital Graduate Program
The Digital Graduate Program gives you an opportunity to excel in a digital or technical career after you’ve graduated from university. As a recent graduate, you’ll have an opportunity to further develop your skills while working for the Australian Government.
Who is this program for?
The Digital Graduate Program is for Australian citizens who've completed a university degree in a digital or technical field within the last 7 years or will complete their degree in the current year.
If you've studied one of the listed degrees then you should consider applying.
Double and honours degrees in these fields are also accepted.
If your degree is not listed but you believe it's suited to a digital graduate placement please get in touch to discuss your options.Back to top
What you’ll get to work on
Government agencies have many different digital and technical roles. These roles support the core functions of each agency and are always changing. Past graduates have worked in the following areas:
- cyber security
- digital media
- user research
- interactive media
- software engineering
- big data
- systems analysis and design
- web development
- data analytics
- systems testing
- infrastructure support
- applications development
Graduate locations vary each year. We publish a complete list of available locations when applications open. Past graduates have worked in:
You may be eligible for relocation assistance if you need to move to another city for a graduate placement.Back to top
Who you’ll be working for
Participating agencies vary each year. The following agencies have confirmed participation for 2020 at this stage:
- Australian Electoral Commission
- Australian Public Service Commission
- Civil Aviation Safety Authority
- Department of Defence
- Department of Education and Training
- Department of the Environment
- Department of Finance
- Department of Health
- Department of Home Affairs
- Department of Jobs and Small Business
- Department of the Prime Minister and Cabinet
- Digital Transformation Agency
Further agencies are also likely to participate in the 2020 Program.Back to top
In a graduate job you’ll get:
- full-time permanent employment
- post-graduate qualification in digital technology for government
- career coaching and mentoring
- flexible working arrangements
- competitive salary and super
In the graduate program you may get to do a number of rotations through various digital areas and roles.
Support and coaching
You will have support from your supervisor and a dedicated career liaison to give you the best chance of success.
Your supervisor will provide guidance and feedback on day-to-day work and help you understand how your work is contributing to the agency’s goals.
Your career liaison will help you with your studies and job skills. They will help guide your professional development towards a successful and rewarding career.
You will also get to network with other participants and develop professional relationships that will support you throughout your career.Back to top
How to apply
Applications for the 2020 program are now closed. Applications for the 2021 program will open in March 2020.
When applications are open, the application form will be available in the jobs section of our website
You'll need these documents:
- proof of Australian Citizenship (Birth Certificate or Passport)
- passport size photo
- a copy of your university transcript
- a resume
3 stages to success
These are the 3 stages of the selection process:
- Submit your application. You will be contacted if you application is successful.
- Attend an interview.
- Meet with participating agencies. At this stage you will get to select a preference for which agency you would prefer
If you're not successful at a particular stage, we'll let you know by email and give you feedback as soon as possible.
At the end of this process we'll do our best to match you with an agency that you prefer and that has roles available to suit your skills.
The process usually takes around 4 months from the time applications close.Back to top