Australian Defence Force Cyber Gap Program
The Department of Defence has partnered with us to provide a crucial career opportunity — the Australian Defence Force Cyber Gap Program.
If you’re already studying or currently enrolling in a cyber-related qualification, Defence can offer you generous financial support, along with a cyber experience placement to give valuable insight into how you can protect Australia’s online systems and information. Once you’re qualified, you could find yourself working with Defence or a government agency in a cyber-related role, or perhaps you’ll find work within the broader cyber industry. Either way, you’ll enhance your cyber skills, and learn more about what makes a career with the Australian Defence Force so rewarding.
How is this different to our other programs?
Committing to a period of Defence service is a pretty big deal. We get that. The flexible thing about this program is that there is no obligation to serve. While you study, you can immerse yourself in a work experience placement with Defence in a cyber-related role, so you’ll have the chance to decide whether a Defence career is something you’d like to pursue. You can even keep working in your current job while participating in the program.
And it works both ways — while there’s no guarantee of a job with Defence or a government agency at the end of your studies (though you are certainly encouraged to apply), you can also choose to find work elsewhere in the cyber security industry if you find it’s not your thing. It’s flexible.
Who is this program for?
The Australian Defence Force Cyber Gap Program is for Australian citizens who are already enrolled in or about to commence cyber-related studies. The Australian Defence Force Cyber Gap Program runs for 12 months. In order to apply, you need to be studying for the duration of the 12-month program, but you can be working towards any eligible qualification at the Certificate IV, Diploma, Advanced Diploma or Graduate Certificate levels.
If you’re currently studying or considering studying one of the listed qualifications, you should think about applying.
We’re looking for people who are passionate about cyber security and interested in learning more about how to turn it into a career.
More opportunities for you
All Australians have a role to play in protecting the nation against cyber threats.
The Australian Defence Force Cyber Gap Program will expose participants to careers in the following areas:
- threat emulation
- cyberspace operations planning
- discovery and counter-infiltration
- incident response
- network vulnerability assessment
- protecting and hardening networks
- data collection and analysis
- network recovery
- incident mitigation strategy development.
During this 12-month program you’ll get:
- access to hands-on work experience in cyber-related roles
- professional membership to the Australian Computer Society
- networking opportunities with a range of Defence cyber subject matter experts, as well as peer networking with participants of various government digital programs
- your course fees, textbooks and stationery costs covered, as well as an academic allowance to assist with your other costs
- travel costs for the screening and recruitment process, your work experience placements and any other Defence engagement travel opportunities
- regular personalised cyber security career mentoring sessions
- assistance preparing professional cyber job applications.
Mentoring and planning
Throughout your studies, you’ll have the chance to meet with program mentors to discuss work opportunities in Defence and other government agencies. This mentoring is vital in helping you decide what path your career will take — even if it doesn’t end up in the public sector.
How to apply
Applications for the program are closed and will open again in September 2020.
When applications are open, the application form will be available in the jobs section of our website. Positions are only available in Canberra, ACT, and Sydney, NSW.
You'll need these documents:
- proof of Australian Citizenship (Birth Certificate or Passport)
- passport size photo
- a copy of your university or vocational education transcript and/or proof of enrolment
- a resume.
These are the 3 stages of the selection process:
- Submit your application online. You will be contacted if your application is successful
- Attend an interview to discuss your cyber interests
- Attend the final selection board session to establish if the Program is a good fit for you.
Successful applicants will commence on the Program from July 2020.
Get in touch
If you have any questions about the Australian Defence Force Cyber Gap Program you can email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 02 6120 8701. For further information regarding cyber careers with the Australian Defence Force please visit www.defencejobs.gov.au.