Digital Professional Stream
As part of the Government’s reform agenda, we’re helping develop an Australian Public Service (APS) professions model to address current and future digital capability needs.
Launch of the Digital Professional Stream Strategy
The Digital Transformation Agency (DTA), together with the Australian Public Service Commission (APSC), is pleased to launch the Digital Professional Stream.
The DTA is responsible for the Digital Professional Stream, with CEO Randall Brugeaud appointed as Head of Profession. Mr Brugeaud and other senior APS leaders will head individual professions, with the APS Commissioner, Mr Peter Woolcott, as the overall Head of Professions.
Australian Public Service Commissioner Peter Woolcott AO, and DTA CEO Randall Brugeaud launch the new APS Digital Professional Stream Strategy, 30 April 2020.
The DTA has developed the Digital Profession Stream Strategy through a senior reference group. This includes Chief Information Officers from Home Affairs, ATO, Services Australia, Defence and representatives from Finance and PM&C.
The aim of the strategy is to improve the digital expertise of the APS workforce and deliver on the Digital Transformation Strategy’s vision of ‘a government that’s fit for the digital age’.
The Digital Professional Stream Strategy sets out some initial initiatives. The aim of these initiatives is to create visibility and momentum in the early days of the Digital Professional Stream:
- Establish the profession – taking an iterative approach involving key stakeholders.
- Targeted skills uplift – as an immediate need to improve some critical, advanced digital skills such as SAP skills, cloud and design.
- Foundational skills for all – providing access to basic digital skills for almost everyone working in the APS today, for example, agile teams, basic user research.
- Sample skills assessment – for a sample of 100 volunteers across the APS to help them develop individual development plans and digital career pathway options.
- Diversity – look at work design and workplace flexibility to leverage diversity in digital talent.
Other content in this section
If an APS employee wants to grow and advance their digital career, the Digital Professional Stream is the way to do that.
We need you! We're calling on members of the APS to show their interest. This is an opportunity to get involved in a design-led approach to the development of the profession.
Increasing the digital expertise of the APS workforce and meeting long-term capability needs to transform government services.