The Observatory’s goal is to measure how people interact with government services. It empowers and supports teams to provide better services and outcomes for everyone.
About the Observatory
The Observatory identifies potential and actual problems people experience when using government services online. This could include where people get lost, stuck, or look for extra information in unexpected places.
We apply advanced analysis techniques to anonymous interaction data to understand where people might encounter these problems.
We work with service delivery teams to understand how they measure and understand service interactions, and how they can fix any problems.
We use the following data in the Observatory.
Last updated: 2019-08-16
Joining the Observatory
Agencies using Google Analytics can join the Observatory through our Terms of Service.
If you don’t use Google Analytics to measure your services, but would like to participate, please get in touch with the Observatory team.
Protecting the privacy of Australians
- All Observatory information and data is aggregated. We do not record individual interactions.
- The Observatory does not capture, create or use Personally Identifiable Information (PII).
- We will conduct Privacy Impact Assessments before we use new datasets in the Observatory.
- We make Observatory information available for Australian Public Service use, and we may publish it.
- We do not share or sell service interaction data to third parties.
- We don’t use or capture any PII. However, you can use tools like the Google Analytics Opt-out Browser Add-on to block Google Analytics and effectively opt-out.