Australia has one of the world’s most advanced public sectors with the Commonwealth Government introducing a broad range of digital initiatives over the past decade.
These government initiatives have already seen the development of easy-to-use digital services that facilitate better policy decisions and faster, cheaper delivery. The global UN E-Government Survey 2018 ranks Australia No.2 in the world behind Denmark in e-government performance and effective delivery of public services.
Our vision is to make it simple and fast to get things done with government, through any channel. Whole-of-government digital service platforms are critical to realising this vision. They provide common business capabilities, such as making a payment or updating your details, which can be utilised by people and businesses.
Providing common, reusable business capabilities through digital service platforms benefits:
- people and businesses – through convenient, secure and reliable access to government services through any channel
- government at all levels – through ‘reusable building blocks’ that are quick and easy to adopt, removing the need for agencies to design, build, test, and operate these capabilities themselves
At a whole-of-government level, digital service platforms will:
- encourage innovation and interoperability where both the government and market can collaborate to drive innovation
- build public trust and confidence in government’s handling of sensitive and personal data
- support the integrity of the government ecosystem and services offered by government
- increase government’s agility and responsiveness to meet changing circumstances and expectations
- increase the efficiency and effectiveness of service delivery by shifting service delivery to faster and better digital channels and removing duplicated effort across government
The Whole-of-government Digital Service Platforms Strategy outlines how we will achieve the benefits of reusable platforms. It is also supported by the digital service platforms operating model, a separate document that provides guidance on how to operationalise the Strategy. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for a copy of of the guidance document. In addition, detailed documents will be developed to provide further guidance on building and adopting digital service platforms.
Do you need help?
If you need help with something on this website, please use our form.