Digital Graduate Program
The Digital Graduate Program gives you an opportunity to excel in a digital or technical career after you have graduated from university. As a recent graduate, you’ll have an opportunity to further develop your skills while working for the Australian Government.
Who is it for?
The Digital Graduate Program is for Australian citizens who have completed a university degree in a digital or technical field within the last 7 years or will complete their degree in the current year.
If you have studies one of the listed degrees then you should consider applying.
Double and honours degrees in these fields are also accepted.
If your degree is not listed but you believe it is suited to a digital graduate placement please get in touch to discuss your options.
What you’ll get to work on
Government agencies have many different digital and technical roles. These roles support the core functions of each agency and are always changing. Past cadets have worked in the following areas:
- cyber security
- digital media
- user research
- interactive media
- software engineering
- big data
- systems analysis and design
- web development
- data analytics
- systems testing
- infrastructure support
- applications development
Cadetship locations vary each year based on requirements. A complete list of available locations are published when applications open. Past graduates have worked in the following cities:
You may be eligible for relocation assistance if you need to move to another city for an apprenticeship.
Who you’ll be working for
The following agencies are participating in the Program this year. This is a live list and agencies may be added up until applications close on 6 April. Keep checking back for updates!
- Australian Federal Police
- Australian Transaction Reports and Analysis Centre (Sydney)
- Civil Aviation Safety Authority
- Department of Defence
- Department of Environment and Energy
- Department of Finance
- Department of Health
- Department of Home Affairs (Brisbane)
- Department of Prime Minister and Cabinet
- Department of Social Services
- Digital Transformation Agency
In a graduate job you’ll get:
- full-time permanent employment
- post-graduate qualification in digital technology for government
- career coaching and mentoring
- flexible working arrangements
- competitive salary and super
Support and coaching
You will have support from your supervisor and a dedicated career coach to give you the best chance of success.
Your supervisor will provide guidance and feedback on day-to-day work and help you understand how your work is contributing to the agency’s goals.
Your career coach (career development and support officer) will help you with your studies and job skills. They will help guide your professional development towards a successful and rewarding career.
You will also get to network with other graduates and develop professional relationships that will support you throughout your career.
How to apply
Applications for the 2019 program are now closed. Applications for 2020 program will open in March 2019
When applications are open, the application form will be available in the jobs section of our website.
You will need these documents:
- proof of Australian citizenship (birth certificate or passport)
- passport-size photo
- a copy of your university transcript
- a resume
3 stages to success
- Submit your application. You will be contacted if your application is successful.
- Attend an interview.
- Meet with participating agencies. At this stage you will get to select a preference for which agency you would prefer to go to.
If you are not successful at a particular stage, you will be notified by email and provided feedback as soon as possible.
At the end of this process we will do our best to match you with an agency that you prefer and that has roles available to suit your skills.
The process usually takes around 4 months from when applications close.
Get in touch
If you have any questions about starting a digital career with the Australian Government, you can email firstname.lastname@example.org or call (02) 6120 8701.
Or you can follow us on Facebook for all program updates.